Sunday, June 26, 2011

busy busy time of year ...

Moved most of the rabbits out into summer accomodations ...they seem quite happy to be out in the fresh air and getting time in a huge run instead of being in smallish runs full time. I need to juggle groups a little but so far so good! They certainly have enjoyed the increasing amounts of fresh food they've been getting through the spring. We are up to nearly full diet now - apple branches, Jerusalem artichoke, strawberry leaves, clover, alfalfa, dandelions, plantain and blackberry or raspberry leaves form the bulk of the fresh with herbs, carrot tops and Queen Anne's lace thrown in sometimes.
The weeds grow faster than we can pull them.
We walked to the far back corner of the farm to assess a field we are considering land leasing for solar power. There are some serious pros and cons .. it is a field we have no plans for so it would be great to see it used .. yet do we really want crews and strangers on the farm?
The squash garden is already THICK and lush; all the veggies look great at the moment.
I thought I had planted all the onions but I found about 150 sets in bags in the garden shed. Whoops. I basically dug a few trenches and threw them in in the hopes at least I'll get a few green onions from the group. I had been wondering why the onions had been doing so badly in one bed. Seems I hadn't planted that bed fully.
Work is BUSY too. Really busy but that's ok - the end is in sight!!

No comments: