Friday, August 12, 2011

Chickens - dismissed!

slaughtered
butchered
killed
murdered
turned into lunch/dinner/soup
pink slipped



what ever you want to call it - today was D day for the flock.

Big T and I got up early and gently loaded the girls into the back of the truck -the truck was full of soft shavings and the girls travelled well and happily - I put the girl with mobility issues in an open topped box with bedding and she travelled easily too. We arrived and found ourselves one in a long line of cars. It was good we had a little time to wander and sort ourselves out as it gave us a sense of what was happening.  No panic, no stress just an easy rhythm to the process. Very few chickens seemed stressed (none of ours) and people chatted as we waited. It was respectful and unhurried. Everyone there expressed appreciation for the hands on nature of producing our own food - and horror at the way grocery store chicken is raised.

It was an important part of the journey of the chicken summer ~ while I'm not glad animals died I am glad I was part of the whole cycle. I took the responsibility for getting them out of the truck. Everyone picked up on my gentle vibe and handled the girls softly right til the end. I was glad to see that.  Picking the meat up tomorrow.


Dinner tonight included onions and garlic from the 20 foot diet. Yum.

No comments: